by Janet Simpson Benvenuti
Our mission at Circle of Life Partners includes supporting the leaders of non-profit organizations that improve the health and well-being of older people and their families. On Valentine’s Day, in addition to buying cards and gifts for your loved ones, consider making a donation of time or money in their honor.
Below are links to some of the organizations we support.
1. Consider donating to a non-profit organization that supports research to cure the illnesses that afflict family members. Most families have someone living with heart disease or cancer, respiratory illnesses, arthritis or diabetes.
2. Because half of the caregiving dollars in America are spent supporting someone living with cognitive impairment, consider a donation to The Cure Alzheimer’s Fund or the Alzheimer’s Association. Other neurological illnesses such as Parkinson’s, ALS and MS also consume caregiving resources and benefit from our generosity.
3. Mental illness afflicts millions of Americans and NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness is among the organizations that provide ongoing support and guidance to families.
4. Support artistic programs that focus on seniors such as ARTZ, Dance for PD, or Alive Inside with their plans to provide ipods and music to all living in nursing homes. Communities of writers such as Grub Street offer memoir writing workshops for older citizens while the National Center for Creative Aging provides training to encourage the widespread adoption of arts programs in senior communities.
5. Organizations with long-histories of supporting elders such as JF&CS and local hospitals, Councils on Aging, and food programs are always appreciative of donations of time and money.
I hope you’ll join us and share your love this Valentine’s Day beyond your immediate family. Post your favorite organizations below or on our Facebook or LinkedIn Group so we may promote their work as well. Collectively, we can have a significant impact on those who make it easier for us to celebrate the lives of those we love.
c 2015 Circle of Life Partners, LLC. All rights reserved.